CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday 11 January 2010

Cheesed off - Rant alert

I am not  a happy bunny today.  Not sure why but think it has something to do with this:-

  • Snow.  Fed up with not being able to go about my normal business. Fed up with my routine being disrupted and getting nothing done. Fed up with the enforced loss of momentum on new year goals. 
  • Baby making.  Went for first follicle track this morning.  It went fine, but the process is now not clear and requires me to liaise between scanning people and clinic on an almost daily basis.  Not only is this aggravation that I could do without, it is also hassle due to the clinic being very poor at anything admin related.  I have thus far put off phoning them but have to do it today :(
  • Star Teething.  I feel really guilty about even suggesting that this could be contributing to my fed upness.  He is cutting two molars and has dry, red cheeks, an endlessly runny nose, three 'very loose' nappies a day that he tries his best to put his hand in whilst I am trying to clear up the debris, and a very sore bum that makes him cry when I wipe it :(  I feel so sorry for the poor little mite.  He's been like this for about 3 days now and do you know, he hasn't got whingy, he hasn't gone off of his food, and he hasn't stopped sleeping 12 hrs a night.  He's such a brave little soldier bless him, but I hate to see him in any kind of discomfort and know that he must be suffering. In the meantime I am constantly running around wiping his nose, applying cream to his cheeks and battling through nappy changes.  Surely, if he can put up with it all without getting fed up, I can ?
I must go in a mo and phone the clinic, but in the meantime a request for advice.  If you are a regular reader you will know that one of my new year goals (which I haven't even finished posting and we are nearly in the middle of Jan - Bah) was to learn to sew.  Step one was to retrieve my sewing machine form the shed.  I have done this but I fear that by the time I buy the missing foot pedal and cables, and the elecricity cable, and get it serviced it would be cheaper to but a new, or reconditioned one.  

So, my question is what features should I look for ?  I don't want to spend alot of money but I do want one that will serve me well whilst learning and beyond ?  I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

In the meantime, you know what I've gotta do...



Share/Save/Bookmark

8 comments:

  1. Hope you phone call has left you feeling a little clearer :)
    The snow - aargh is also driving me mad!
    As for the sewing machine, It really depends on what you want to do. I am a freelance textile artist and my machine was bought second hand about 20 years ago!! It is a Bernina, and it can do straight stitch, zig-zag and free machine emb.
    It is very basic but brilliant. I think some of the new machines are over-complicated. Contact me if you need further info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, no advice on sewing machine...I tend to break them. I hope the baby making call went okay and the baby gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the sewing machine front, get thee to Heelas and talk to the wonderful ladies in the haberdashery department. Tell them what you need and they will talk you through what they have. It is what I would like to do in my dreams!!

    I fear a new one may be more cost effective, you dont need all singing and dancing, infact mine doesnt even do backstich. I have made a mini tea cosey today!!

    Oh I do miss being nearby I could pop for a cup of tea and have a chat. You know where I am is you want a chat, plus you need to pop a barrier cream on Stars bum, I know you are not keen on some stuff, but a mineral based cream (zinc) will protect it a little bit from the acid in the poo and resort back to muslin and warm water to wipe too. Mini always suffered with teething

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww hun sorry to hear Stars not so good with teething, my lil man suffered hugely! One thing you can try that worked for me was "Ashton and Partons Powders" Bloomin amazing for J I found!

    Just think for all this trouble with the clinic hopefully you'll have another wonderfully little star.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Write a list of all the things you imagine making - clothes (incl button holes), quilts, bags etc etc and do as Mad says and head to a good sewing machine shop. Don't buy without a try as some machines just don't fit you. I can heartily recommend Janome machines as good value, dependable and easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find getting out the house for a walk with the baby helps - depending on how bad the snow is of course.
    Hope your rant helped, its good to get it off your chest and into the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid I know nothing about sewing. Sometimes I wish I did because it would probably save a lot of money in the long run, but I never took interest in it.

    Rant away, I love a good rant, and love reading one too! It's so awful when they're cutting teeth but of course it does pass.

    Take care and best wishes,
    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm afraid I know nothing about sewing. Sometimes I wish I did because it would probably save a lot of money in the long run, but I never took interest in it.

    Rant away, I love a good rant, and love reading one too! It's so awful when they're cutting teeth but of course it does pass.

    Take care and best wishes,
    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete