4. Have another baby
I have posted before about my pursuit of this aim here so won't duplicate other than to say that getting pregnant is not a straightforward process for us. Here is a quick run down of what is involved...
- Take drugs days 2 -6 of cycle
- Go to clinic for internal scans every other day from day 9 of cycle until day before ovulation
- Inject self with ovulation inducing hormone at 1am
- Go to clinic on day of ovulation for DH to 'produce a sample', wait while it is 'prepared' and then endure the IUI procedure which feels like a smear test gone wrong. (If anyone is unsure what IUI is all about see here )
Whilst trying to conceive Star I also did extensive research into what else can be done to maximise the chances of not only getting pregnant but also to have a healthy, full term baby. Before you read this list and decide that it is all unnecessary and over the top I should explain. We have been very successful so far, getting pregnant twice in four attempts which is significantly better than general success rates which are usually quoted as somewhere between 10 and 20%. When you consider that most IUI patients are younger than me that makes our success rate even more impressive. So, you will understand why I am so committed to these extra measures...
- Take supplements as 'prescribed' following hair analysis. I will do another post on this at some time as it is a very big subject and so very important.
- Eat organic food and avoid convenience foods and anything 'nutritionally void' as far as possible.
- Use chemical free toiletries
- Don't drink alcohol
- Have a monthly reflexology treatment
- Listen to the Innertalk fertilty CD. This sounds of the sea but has subliminal messages about fertility. I became pregnant both months that I listened to it.
- Drink, cook with and bathe in filtered water. Don't worry we have a whole house filter on the mains!
- Do daily positive visualisations.
I know to many of you these things will probably sound wacky in the extreme but I feel that I can't afford to leave a single stone unturned. I don't know which of these is most important or significant (although I have my theories) so I don't pick and choose but do them all religiously.
So there we have it. We have already started this particular journey as I am taking the drugs and will be going for my first scan on Mon 11th Jan. I don't know yet how much I will be blogging about this, it may help manage the stress, but equally not posting about it may take my mind off of it, and whilst it is monumental to me I also know that it's just another blog post amongst thousands and don't want to push my readers away so we'll have to see how it goes. In the meantime please think positive thoughts and keep everything crossed for us...for me, for The Daddy, and most of all for Star x