CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday 1 January 2010

New Year Resolution #1

As I have quite an extensive list of new year resolutions  goals I decided that I would post about one each day, thus giving me the opportunity to explain why I have chosen the goal and in some cases how I intend to set about achieving said objective.  To get me into the swing of things I thought I would start with a relatively simple one, so here goes...


1.  To take Star for a walk to feed the ducks at least once, preferably twice, a week.


I am very lucky to live in an area that is both close to London and all the convenience that it brings, but is also rural.  Having spent most of my life living in Devon this is very important to me.  We live less than four miles from the M4 but were delighted to be visited by eight partridges on xmas eve and two deer on xmas morning.


One benefit of living where we do is that there are two council run 'country parks' within a few miles.  Both have a large lake and an abundance of water birds such as ducks, swans, canadian geese and others, are open all year round and are free to use other than paying a small parking charge.  


Star also loves ducks.  Having had three traditional rubber ducks in his bath since he could sit up his second word was 'duck' (his first word was 'wave' or rather 'wabe', as in goodbye - since when has a babies first word been a verb?!) When we go to one of the parks he smiles one of his wide open mouthed smiles as soon as he sees them and his arms and legs start flapping, seemingly uncontrollably, with unbridled joy.


Finally, I have recently started baking bread with the help of my new bread machine.  Star absolutely loves my bread (organic, 65% wholegrain, 35% white), and only my bread, preferably freshly baked and still slightly warm.  My regular readers will know that I am ever so slightly obsessed with healthy eating and good nutrition and so, I feel it is my duty (and one that I enjoy) to provide Star with a fresh baked loaf for his tea every day.  As The Daddy and I eat little bread ourselves this means that I have, on average, half a small loaf left over each day.  The prospect of throwing this away offends me, and so...you've guessed it...it will go to feed the ducks.


So, this seemingly simple goal satisfies so many needs.  Star and I get fresh air, I get exercise, Star and I have a trip out that costs next to nothing, star gets a close up of the ducks, the ducks get fed some glorious bread, and my leftover loaf goes to good use.  Everyone's happy, and that must be a goal worth pursuing.





Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. I like reading your blog postings! I've tagged you (is this the right term?!!!!) for a High Five Meme and apologies if you've already had one. See my blog for details if you are to join in! x Hope you've enjoyed your walk today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. In two years of living where we do I've found one duck pond. Unfortunately it's polluted and we're lucky to see a single duck. Also it's down so many steps that I can't get my double pushchair down to the water. Throw some bread in for me please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. In two years of living where we do I've found one duck pond. Unfortunately it's polluted and we're lucky to see a single duck. Also it's down so many steps that I can't get my double pushchair down to the water. Throw some bread in for me please!

    ReplyDelete